my other web poo:      my Pinterest       my flickr       my Delicious       my Twitter       my Spotify       my YouTube faves      my GoodReads      


Sunday, May 5, 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: BLEACHED - Ride Your Heart

BLEACHED - Ride Your Heart (Dead Oceans)

Bleached's punked up take on 60's girl group pop is loaded with sugary pop goodness, making it a perfect soundtrack for a Summer road trip.


On their debut album, Bleached make perky pop with sugary melodies and just the right amount of fuzz. The songs are firmly rooted in 60's girl-group pop, but with a modern indie-pop attack. The arrangements are straight forward and without much in terms of frills, like the early Ramones albums. The focus is on the alluring melodies and the spirited vocals, which sound like a cross between the Primitives' Tracy Tracy and Katy Goodman of La Sera/Vivian Girls. In fact, this album reminds me quite a bit of La Sera's Sees the Light album, which was one of my favorite albums of 2012. Both albums expertly move between mid-tempo pop and punky rockers that race by. And both feature vocals that are technically limited, but have enough charm to pull off anything they reach for.

Jessica and Jennifer Clavin were previously in the beloved LA punk garage band Mika Miko, so they're no strangers to buzzing guitars and hyper tempos. Ride Your Heart has plenty of that, but more refined and with a strong California beach culture feel. This is perfect Summer ear candy. The type of record that makes me smile every time I put it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment