my other web poo:      my Pinterest       my flickr       my Delicious       my Twitter       my Spotify       my YouTube faves      my GoodReads      


Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My picks for the Slicing Up Eyeballs' Best of 86 Poll

Slicing Up Eyeballs has their Best "new wave/alternative" Albums of 1986 poll up. Some of my faves came out in 86, but there weren't as many albums I was passionate about compared to the previous polls. Looking through the ballot I realized that there were loads of half-great albums in 86 - records with a few all time favorite songs and then a bunch of filler or forgettable songs.

For the purpose of voting I stuck with what was on the ballot, so there aren't any write-ins (hence no Beasties, Run DMC, etc). Here are my picks in alph order:

  • Crowded House - Crowded House
  • The Godfathers - Hit By Hit
  • Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians - Element of Light
  • Hüsker Dü - Candy Apple Grey
  • Love and Rockets - Express
  • The Mighty Lemon Drops - Happy Head
  • R.E.M.. - Lifes Rich Pageant
  • Stan Ridgway - The Big Heat
  • They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants
  • XTC - Skylarking

Most of my picks are pretty standard college rock/CMJ staples. But I think this is about the point where I started listening to a lot more indie music and deliberately started shunning most of the 120 Minutes type artists. I'm really curious to see the 1987 ballot.

No comments:

Post a Comment